Friday, March 30, 2012

Quilt Books


I recently acquired 2 new books for my quilt library. The first one, "Color & Design by Heather Thomas" is an eye catching book. I found it at JoAnn's in TN when I was at a Mountain QuiltFest. I had finished my shopping and decided I'd sit at the table to browse through this book while I waited on my sisters. This book is full of rich colorful photos of quilts and great designs and inspiration and ideas for quilts. I drooled quite a bit! There was a fellow sitting across the table from me and we engaged in small talk. He had been cutting trees all day and was tired. He brought his wife to JoAnns to indulge her and then they were going to go out for supper. When he realized that I really liked the book I was looking at he offered to buy it for me. Well ... who am I that this stranger should buy a book for? And he was dead serious. We talked some more and I ask him to meet his wife. He finally found her and I met the sweetest lady, and yes, they like to bless people and would love to buy the book for me. With the 50% off coupon the $29.95 book was only $15. He handed me $16.00 cash. Oh, ... I just couldn't turn them down. And then in all my excitement I failed to get an address to send a thank you note, but I did write down their names, Eddie & Kathy from Knoxville, TN. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And this just makes me want to bless someone else.

And the second book "Baskets -- New Quilts From an Old Favorite" is published each year with 18 finalists in the challenge. I like to enter this contest each year making a new innovative quilt from an old traditional quilt block. My entry this year ended up looking more like pyramids than baskets, so I named it "Pharaoh's Tombs." You can read about it here.


There was even room to tell about the 'Farmer's Delight' quilts my family has made.


This book is available from AQS and Amazon.

2 comments:

Doris High said...

Congratulations! It's nice they made you look good. :)

Coleen B said...

So fun to see your smiling face in the published book! I really love the story about your generous strangers. That is inspiring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...