Thursday, May 30, 2013

Genesis and Gethsemane

Life …
The Little Red Caboose always came last.
IMG_1531
 
Fun in the gravel while waiting for the meat to grill.
IMG_1517 
 
… as a Quilter
And now I have finished the two art pieces that my niece Coleen B. Barnhart started here.
IMG_1078 

She can magically make beauty with scissors and fabric.
IMG_1116
 
After she finished her part, I did the thread painting, quilting, binding, and finishing.
 
Genesis – “Let there be light”
An Explosion of Joy and New Life

IMG_1416
 
 
Detail

IMG_1417
 
The Back
Insert a small dowel, chop stick, or skewer under the top triangles. Pound a nail in the wall and balance the quilt on the nail.
IMG_1385
 
We lovingly refer to Coleen as Claire Bleu since her mother’s name is also Coleen. 
IMG_1390
 
 
Gethsemane – “It was midnight in the garden when the Savior knelt to pray.”
A Dark and Stormy Night
IMG_1413
 
I used bobbin thread work to create the lightning.
IMG_1409
 
A second dowel, chop stick, or skewer may be placed under the bottom triangles to keep the bottom of the quilt from flipping up.
IMG_1386
 
These pieces measure 9-1/2” X 9-1/2” and are for sale for $150 each (I wish I could say in my Etsy Store, but I don’t have one.) I guess you will just have to email me.

23 comments:

Dora, the Quilter said...

Absolutely beautiful! A great collaboration! Beautiful workmanship!
(Dull machine needles are great to use on a wall instead of nails.)

Mego said...

Beautiful! A 'winning' collaboration!

Sew Blessed said...

Both are so lovely, Julia! You and your niece amaze and inspire me.

Shauna said...

Very beautiful Julia!

Angela FlowersMoore said...

Your work is beautiful. I'm trying those fast finish triangles.

janequiltsslowly said...

Oh Julia it is breathtaking. Still available?
You make me see the world and the word in a whole new way.
Thank You.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

wow! that is really amazing. the detail that you achieve with your thread painting is remarkable!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Sara said...

I love the bible reference that inspired this whole quilt. Your quilting is gorgeous and the idea for hanging it is wonderful!

Amy said...

Gorgeous!

Elaine said...

Those are beautiful quilts.

Turid said...

I adore your beautiful quilts!

SuperMomNoCape said...

You do beautiful work together!

tink's mom said...

What wonderful use of your God given talents. Just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I just love your quilting on these two pieces! You do such beautiful work!

Marilyn Wall said...

beautiful, the machine work is gorgeous.

Nancy in NV-wheres the dude at blogspot said...

Breathtaking quilts. Awe inspiring!

Linda Wulf Koenig said...

I love, love, love that you and your niece worked on this together. What talent you both have! Just beautiful. Blessings!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Beautiful! The kids are adorable too! Thanks for linking up :)

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

These are fabulous! You should really consider opening an Etsy shop.

felicity said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful quilts, and for linking up to Friday Felicities!

Live a Colorful Life said...

That quilting is phenomenal!

Joanie s said...

Just beautiful.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...