Friday, June 28, 2013

West Coast

One of the highlights of San Fransciso for me was walking down the winding Lombard Street. Cars were lined up waiting their turn for the trip to the bottom.
IMG_4612


I also enjoyed seeing the fancy Victorian row of houses called “The Painted Ladies.”
IMG_4484

We took a bus tour through the city since it was too foggy to have a boat ride around Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Chinatown was quite colorful.
IMG_4381

Claire Bleu and Polly got a ride in a rickshaw.
IMG_4363

The fog was starting to lift as we left SF.
 IMG_4768

We drove up the California coast and through Redwoods National Park. Our bus was just too big to drive through the Chandelier Tree.
IMG_4844

We were disappointed that it was so foggy at Crater Lake. Even though the sky was white the water still looked blue.
IMG_4941

In Sisters, Oregon we stopped at the wonderful quilt store The Stitching Post. I felt honored to have my picture taken with the owner, Jean Wells who is also a Quilt Artist, Author, and Instructor. She has written 27 quilting books.
 photo (7)

At Brownsville, Oregon we stopped for soup and homemade bread with raspberry jelly at Mark’s cousin Sharon Yoder Kraybill’s place.
IMG_5018

And then Dorcas Smucker, bless her heart, drove to meet us there for lunch too. I was so pleased to meet the author of Life in the Shoe. She has written 4 books and “Tea and Trouble Brewing” is in the top 10 list of World Magazine’s self published authors. Congratulations, Dorcas. I love to read her writings.
IMG_5013

We drove on to Portland, OR to visit our 1st cousin Yvonne who graciously served us supper and hosted all 15 of us for the night and breakfast.
IMG_5067

Sheila and Polly enjoy the view of Multnomah Falls in the Columbia River Gorge.
IMG_5165

Paul waves at us from the bridge.
IMG_5159


And now we are in Yakama, Washington visiting our father’s brother, Uncle Daniel & Aunt Betty and their family.

8 comments:

Lois Ann said...

Your trip sounds so wonderful.. something I've dreamed of doing. I think it's fabulous you can go with your family. Cheers!

Lois Ann said...

Oh, and I really enjoyed the pictures too. My niece, Jessica Derstine lives at Brownsville OR. Too bad. She would have loved meeting you, I'm sure.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing. I am originally from Portland, Oregon, and when my husband I got married, we were married at Multnomah Falls.

Dorcas said...

It was such fun to meet you all and I felt very honored. You all looked like you were having WAY too much fun traveling all over. It's been a dream of mine to take my 2 sisters to Sisters and I admire you for managing to get ALL of you there. Hope your trip continues to go well.
Dorcas

Deborah said...

Wow. You are having quite a wonderful trip. My husband is from the Pacific Northwest and I am enjoying seeing Oregon through your eyes.

Julia Graber said...

Were you the wedding couple that got doused by that 400 ton bolder that fell into the pool?

pens and needles said...

What a great trip! Memories being made that will stay with you forever -- just wonderful!

janequiltsslowly said...

Oh Julia, such a wonderful travelog! I hope Yakima is not too hot for you. I'm a bit farther north in Washington, near Spokane and we had over 100 degrees today. Stay cool and safe travels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...