Monday, July 15, 2013

Watercolor with Robin Whitfield and a “Jelly Roll”

Last Saturday I took a beginners watercolor class with Robin Whitfield.
IMG_5736

Her artwork is on display at the Rosenzweig Art Center in Columbus, MS this month.
IMG_5703

Here are a few pieces of her artwork that I like.
IMG_5737

She does a lot of pictures of nature and really enjoys the swamps.
IMG_5739

She gave me permission to translate her work into fiber art.
IMG_5740

These are some of the pieces that we, her students, made in her outdoor class.
IMG_5718

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My sister Emily gave me some “jelly roll” fabric strips over a year ago. She recently threatened to take them back if I wasn’t going to use them.
IMG_5677

So, I decided to quick make a quilt with them. I decided on the pattern “Scrappy Trips” by Bonnie Hunter.
IMG_5662

The instructions said that anything goes and will work. I was afraid that there wasn’t enough contrast in the strips, but after I laid the blocks out on the floor, I am pleased as punch. I think it’s looking great. This is only half of the blocks as I have I have another “jelly roll” just like the first.
IMG_5668

I’m not too sure about the yellow border but they were 2 strips left over. Maybe pink or the darker blue would be a better choice.

8 comments:

pens and needles said...

julia, I love the scrappy trips pattern, and yours looks wonderful! I do think maybe blue for the border? A little more contrast...

Queenie Believe said...

How wondrful to take a watercolor class outdoors with a tallented artist!
I really like your scrappy trips. I like nd ptter and will have to putit on the to-do list :o)
Have a great day.
Always, Queenie

coleensr said...

I'll be waiting to see your fiber art. I know it will be great!

Coleen B said...

That looks like a fun class! I like her swamp painting. Gabriel tells me you have something Western up your sleeve . . . :-)

Adventurous Quilter said...

I love the border but am a seriously color challenged quilter LOL. I really love the pattern it works well with Jelly Rolls, I will keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing.

Lois Ann said...

I love the scrappy quilt. My style entirely.

brandy said...

love the scrappy trip. i'm just starting my first one. i hear they are addicting:)

Ptquilter said...

The yellow is definitely a good choice. That's my vote.
Judy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...