Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Southern Magnolia

A couple weeks ago I started this small sample of a ‘southern magnolia’ to see if it would work for my real challenge quilt and I’m so glad I did. So many people commented on the beauty of the background fabric. I took that as a sign that my magnolia didn’t have the limelight it needed.  So I tried to tone down that beautiful watercolor fabric with …

… crayons.
IMG_4585

The colors turned it more green but after I heat set them …
IMG_4582

… there wasn’t much green left. I decided the “Applebee's” crayon didn’t soak into the fabric. So I used the Kodak crayons and pressed harder and colored the leaves around the magnolia. That seemed to work. Now I’m wondering what ‘Crayola’ brand crayons would have done.
Copy of IMG_4602

Maybe I can work some more on this piece yet. Somehow I need that flower to get more attention!

 WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 

4 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I really like your flower. Wonderful work.

Anonymous said...

To get the flower to 'pop', try adding some color with your crayons.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

It's a beautiful flower but I think the depth in the background fabric is making it look a bit flat in comparison, could you use crayons or paint to add a little shading? I hope you stick with it because it's gorgeous!

Schulz Family said...

visiting from crazy mum quilts. Wow that is stunning

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...