Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Art Quilt -- A Glimpse Through the Lattice

Life …

IMG_5062

… as a Quilter

I continue to work on this quilt. The ‘rocking chair’ idea is still brewing in my mind. Surely I could add it in some sort of way. So, I took a picture …
IMG_5053

… and printed it out. Then I glued black netting over it and cut it out.
IMG_5070

Washing the glue from the paper and netting.
IMG_5074

The black netting laid over cardboard.
IMG_5090

The black netting over the quilt. It showed up more from an angle. When you looked at it straight on you could hardly see the chair.
IMG_5082

The paper pattern of the chair on the quilt.
IMG_5091

The chair cut from the background fabric of batik.
IMG_5093

The chair from black Kona cotton.
IMG_5094

And a smaller chair from a gray/blue fabric with stitching. Too much stitching on the left side.
IMG_5095

So, I cut another armrest, leg, rocker, and a few rungs to fuse over the overly stitched pieces.
IMG_5096

There, that’s much better.
IMG_5099

Come … rest and relax with a glimpse through the lattice!

Wednesdays are WOW days WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Creations by Nina-Marie My Quilt Infatuation I Quilt @ Pretty Bobbins Really Random

14 comments:

shirleyhuff said...

I like the blue rocker, more suttle, pleasing

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

I like how you've shown your method of developing an idea, auditioning options, and how you arrived at your final image. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

Awesome way to do the applique. Very interesting concept.

Fullfilling my Dreams said...

I like this piece Julia. Have you tried taking the black netting and lay over the entire first piece, seeing if it would make the illusion of the rocker more defined? I like to see an illusion of a center point at times. However, I do like the blue one.

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

I love this! Very creative!

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Julia you never cease to amaze me! Thank you for sharing this awesome technique. Your work is just beautiful.

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing process. I've never seen anything like it. So amazing to see the different effects and techniques. Thanks so much for sharing!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow. I love what you did here. Thanks for sharing it.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Fascinating to see the different options as they range from subtle, to in your face and then settle down to just right.

Annie said...

Did you fuse the chair to the background fabric before you stitched on it?

Pieced Brain Quilt Designs said...

Great idea! I love your final choice. It reminds me of a landscape quilt a made with two rocking chairs. It is one of my favorite quilts!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your eye for things. I am in awe at your quilts. Keep up the good work!

Linda

Hilacha (loose strand) said...

Thanks for opening our eyes to better see the technical options

Lynette said...

I had to come back and look at your process page after you linked the quilt up at TGIFF. That was a brilliant idea with the mesh, even though it didn't work out for this piece. Thanks for sharing that. And now I appreciate more the high success with the chair stitching after seeing the "fix" you worked though.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...